Visa Requirements for International Summer

International Summer programs are open to qualified visiting international undergraduate and graduate students. GW sponsors eligible students for the F-1 student visa for full-time summer study in International Summer programs.

F-1 Visa Process

To study full time at GW through general courses during the summer, international students must have an F-1 student visa. Full-time enrollment is defined as registration for a minimum of 6 credits for undergraduates or 3 credits for graduates in one 6-week summer session. Enrolling in the U.S. Foreign Policy in a Global Era program constitutes a full-time course of study for a 2-week duration. 

For Students Requiring Sponsorship

GW will sponsor student visas for full-time study in the General Study and U.S. Foreign Policy in a Global Era programs. If you are receiving GW sponsorship for the F-1 student visa, you must document that you have sufficient funds to support your studies in order to receive an I-20 form, by submitting the Visa Application and Financial Certificate (PDF). This I-20 form must be submitted with your visa application to the U.S. Consulate.  

For Students with Sponsorship by Other Universities

Students who are enrolled in another US university program on an F-1 visa in spring, and who will continue studying at that same university in fall, can study at GW on their current F-1 visa. Students in this situation are eligible to study full time or part-time.

Current F-1 students whose I-20s will expire or whose college/university programs will end before enrolling in the International Summer program must obtain an I-20 from GW for their summer study.

Other Visas (J-1, H-1, H-4, etc.)

If you are currently in the U.S. in a different non-immigrant category you may be eligible to take summer courses at the George Washington University depending on your immigration status.

If you have any questions about your immigration status, please contact us; we're happy to help.