As you are planning your budget for the summer, please keep in mind that you may need to pay for the following:
Class-related books, materials and printing (College Intensive students only)
Unplanned recreational activities
Postal service, toiletries, snacks, and transportation to and from campus
The SmarTrip card is a permanent, rechargeable fare card for the D.C. Metro system that is easy to use. Students are encouraged to order a SmarTrip card online before the start of the program. Students will utilize the metro system for site visits with their class and for off-campus activities led by the residential staff.
If unable to order online, students will have the opportunity to purchase a SmarTrip card at the Foggy Bottom Metro station with their class on the second day of the program.
How to Order a SmarTrip Card Online
- Create a SmarTrip account.
- Once you have a SmarTrip account, you can order a card.
- Select a card: Select any one of the SmarTrip Cards with Stored Value. You will be able to add value online once you have purchased the card (see instructions below). The required total amount for the program is $60. Should a student require more money on their SmarTrip card during the program, they or their parents or guardians will be able to add money online, or students can add money at designated kiosks in any of the Metro stations.
For domestic students, please allow two weeks before the start date of the program for processing and shipping. For international students, please allow four weeks before the start date of the program for processing and shipping.
All SmarTrip cards purchased online will be registered to the address specified during the purchase process. Your SmarTrip card will also be associated with your web account, unless you choose otherwise. In the event that a card is lost, Metro will transfer your card balance online at the time it was lost, stolen or damaged to a new SmarTrip card for the cost of a card.
How to Add Funds Online:
- Log in to your SmarTrip online account.
- Select the card to which you want to add funds.
- In the right menu under Online Purchases, click the link Add Value and follow the prompts to complete your order.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included in the program costs for residential students, and lunch is included in the Summer Immersion commuter student program costs. However, students will also have opportunities to purchase additional food or snacks off campus, and may wish to factor that into their spending money amount.