Visa Requirements

Visa Requirements
International Summer programs are open to international undergraduate and graduate students who require visa sponsorship. Those who do not require visa sponsorship should contact International Summer at GW to find out more about program options.

F-1 Student Visa

To study full-time at GW during the summer, international students must have an F-1 student visa. Full-time enrollment is defined as registration for a minimum of 6 credits for undergraduates or 3 credits for graduates in one 6-week summer session.

For Students Requiring Sponsorship

Students who are receiving GW sponsorship for the F-1 student visa must document that they have sufficient funds to support their studies in order to receive an I-20 form for submission with their visa application to the U.S. Consulate, by submitting the Visa Application and Financial Certificate (PDF).  GW will sponsor student visas for full-time study in the General Study program.

For Students with Sponsorship by Other Universities

  • Students who are enrolled in another U.S. university program on an F-1 visa in Spring 2015, and who will continue studying at that same university in Fall 2015, can study at GW on their current F-1 visa. Students in this situation are eligible to study full-time or part-time.
  • Current F-1 students whose I-20s will expire or whose college/university programs will end before enrolling in Summer Term must obtain an I-20 from GW for their summer study.

B-1 and B-2 Visitor Visas

Students may not study under a visitor immigration classification if their main purpose for being in the country is to study at The George Washington University for the summer.  If travel or tourism is the predominant reason for temporarily residing in the US, students may take one summer course.  However, it is recommended that all students study full-time under the F-1 student status. 
Other Visas (For example, J-2, H-1, H-4)
If you are currently in the U.S. in a different non-immigrant category you may be eligible to take summer courses at The George Washington University depending on your immigration status.
If you have any questions about your immigration status, please contact us - we're happy to help you.